Sunday 21 August 2016

Optimism and the Domino Effect

Just over a week ago I was in Edinburgh watching a production of Rent. Now, Rent has been my favourite musical for years but I’d never seen it live and indeed, hadn’t listened to the full soundtrack for a good while. Even though the production was really rather average (soz), it did remind me of why I love this particular musical so much. There’s a moment in the second half of the show when one of the characters, Mark, reflects on the series of consequences that initially bring the characters together: ‘why did Mimi knock on Rodger’s door and Collins choose that phone booth back where Angel set up his drums, why did Maureen’s equipment break down, why am I the witness?’. This idea of consequences has been something I’ve been thinking about for a while, it probably has a proper name but for now I’ve termed it the Domino Effect.

Flash forward a few days and filling in (yet another) job application I was asked what my best two qualities were. I decided without hesitation that my optimism and resilience were the best things I could offer (they’re kind of the same thing, shhh). My optimism comes directly from my belief in the Domino effect; my belief that basically the world is a weird place where weird things happen that lead to even weirder things. In this way nothing ever actually ends because the consequences, even if they’re dormant for a while or not physically measurable, go on kind of like a ripple effect.

My being in Edinburgh began with me sitting in the wrong seat at formal months ago – even things that seem like nothing can spiral so quickly into something. This is why I live in the slightly erratic way I do, trying always to say ‘yes’. The seeds of these small beginnings are out there, and the wonderful thing is that we have the option to choose to be present, to allow the chances to take hold and to set off another line of dominos. I’m optimistic because the next chance encounter is always just around the corner, the next weird circumstance is about to happen, I’ll be in the right place at the right time sooner or later.
Suspected by only one person of being in the wrong seat that night
I think cynicism has become fashionable because it’s easier. Being optimistic and believing in a positive outcome means you’re exposing yourself to the possibility of being let down, we’re expected to be embarrassed if this happens, even told we’re fools for hoping. Admittedly being optimistic has gotten me into trouble before; I sometimes believe in people a little too much and effectively scare them (lol..?). But the wounding I get from this is only temporary, so I’ve never truly regretted being optimistic – with optimism that is acted upon there is never ever a ‘what if’. I think openly investing in the hope of success is one of the bravest most truthful things one can do.

So always hang on in there folks, in true optimist style, I genuinely believe everything will work out just perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment